Tuesday, August 08, 2006

day 32

A wonderfully cool evening tonight amidst the grapes, no horseflies to be seen anywhere. I actually spent some time out of the truck catching some rays. . . . And here's a confession for you: I put my head back, closed my eyes, and dozed off. How's that for deer sniping technique? Just like in the movie when Vassili has the chance to shoot Major Ed Harris, er, Kronig, in the back but he can't because he's too busy snoring. I can assure you that it was at that precise moment that a herd of overweight does and their descendents passed by under my very nose, and I missed them.

Because I certainly didn't see any deer tonight. Where are all these deer? Have Bambi and Faline spread the word that the red truck means certain death? Or are all these deer just having too much fun eating tender green things in the deep woods, far far away from Vassili? who knows.

Anyway. Cranking up the sausage factory tomorrow. Our loyal reader suggest cheddar cheese and jalapenos . . . may have to try that eventually, though probably not with the very first batch. Wish us luck.

That's confessions et cetera et cetera et cetera.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ernie said...

Man your realy trying to piss off your fan in India, admitting to falling asleep while on watch? What's up wit dat?
Have you considered trying a different spot amongst the grapes? Deer are creatures of habit but if they get shoot off their favorite pathway they soon find a different route through the woods. I had that happen to me at the farm years ago. When we put up 3 different tree stands 2 were close to but not right next to their trail and 1 right next to the trail. They completly abandoned that trail and even now 4-5 years later have never returned to using it. The other 2 stands still produce each year because they are away from the trail and when a deer is fallen from either of them they are actualy away from where the shots rang out,. May have something to do with it, maybe not.

Thu Aug 10, 08:37:00 AM 2006  
Blogger Frank Zappai said...

I agree, although I only scared Mom and her babies (well, I killed Mom, actually). By my count that leaves at least seven other individuals that I have seen that must still be in the neighborhood. But with the cool weather, I can start moving around again. Need more burger for venison sausage, next batch gets the jalapeno treatment I think.

Thu Aug 10, 01:42:00 PM 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home