Tuesday, August 01, 2006

days 22 through 25

Hello again deer sniping fans. I was out of town this past weekend giving deer sniping advice to the hunter ed instructors of Maryland and Virginia, recounting how to "stealthily and skillfully" exit an air conditioned truck and use the cab of the truck as a blind for maximum concealment. I'd like to think the participants learned a lot from my talk--like how not to turn the engine off while sneaking up on Bambi's mom.

Tonight our dinner guest was none other than the world famous Doctor Dirt, he of the phosphorus philosophy doctorate. While the kids had chops from last fall's vineyard buck, Dr. D and I sunk our teeth into the succulent tenderness of Bambi's mom, the first meal out of July's doe. I grilled it on the Weber with some Jamaican jerk rub, and it was excellent. With some Wegman's "wings of life" salad smothered in creamy garlic dressing, corn on the cob, and washed down with some fine beverages, it was a meal fit for a deer sniper.

With today's temperatures soaring into the 90s, and tomorrow's prediction for even hotter temps, I am unlikely to deer snipe until the weather breaks . . . which should be Thursday. Expect an account Thursday night.

And that's confessions of a deer sniper.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The weather didn't stop the progress at Canoga creek farms though. Looks like they burried a lot of tile yesterday, that had to be brutel in the heat. I was wondering if you would venture out in the cool (85 degree)evening for a shot at Bambi but it sounds like sitting in the air conditioned truck wasn't even in the cards. What the hecks up with the flies? I got eaten alive last night trying to till up some new flower beds. I though they only bit earlier in the season. Are they confused or am I just noticing it for the first time now that I'm far out into the country?

Wed Aug 02, 08:34:00 AM 2006  
Blogger Frank Zappai said...

man, you're not kidding. I was out there grilling for no more than five minutes, and those biting housefly-looking flies killed my ankles. It's like I always say, nature is our enemy.

The missus has her bike maintenance class tonight, otherwise I would think about going. But tomorrow's just barely supposed to break 80, so tomorrow it is I think.

Wed Aug 02, 09:17:00 AM 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home