Wednesday, July 19, 2006

day 13

Despite being accused of resting on my laurels by a faithful reader of that "other" blog, I spent the day preparing for opening up the butcher shop in my mudroom.

First we took the kids to the Auburn Mall to do a bit of shopping at Bass Pro (again). This time for the burger bags and tape thingamajig, and also for a hoist/gambrel. The working plan is to hang the deer from one of the loft beams in the mudroom for skinning, etc. I was disappointed that they only had the world's cheapest hoist in stock, so I bet I'll be having to get another one of those sooner or later. I was also disappointed (only a little) to learn that the grinder plates for my hand-me-down Sunbeam Oster grinder are non-standard, and so I can't use any of the LEM grinder parts that are available at Bass or Cabelas. No worry, if we end up doing all of our own processing from here on in, maybe I'll trade up on the grinder.

From there we proceeded on to Sears where I bought a window air-conditioner for the mudroom. We had the mudroom done rebuilt and remodeled last year (maybe I'll take some pics and post here for show and tell), and now that it's superinsulated it holds the summer heat in like nobody's business--and our poor dogs have been out there all summer . . . lucky for them it's been cool so far for the most part, and I've cooled it off at night by opening the door and blasting cool outside air in to drop the room temp. But I figured if the mudroom is where all the deer carving's going to happen, I'll be damned if I'll be carving in 110 degree heat. So Sears had a nice 8000 BTU unit on sale for $169. Later when I'm not deer carving, I may demote it to a bedroom, or keep it where it is and get another one for the house.

So got home and after dropping the kids off at the lake again with the missus, I came back home and installed the AC in the mudroom. Works like a charm.

Finally, tonight I made a Wegman's run for the missus to return some videos, and while I was there I stocked up on Saran wrap and freezer paper. Had a tough time finding the freezer tape--guess where they keep it . . . that's right, with the school supplies! and with the post-its, pencils, pads, etc. Guess that's simply where they keep all the tape. But it took a while to find it, finally the night manager found it for me.

So that's that. Tomorrow we skin the critter--the kids want to see that before they leave for the weekend. With a nice cool space and room to get the job done, I should be back in the field in no time.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vassili, you are begining to slip a bit in your details. Have you noticed that this is the second day in a row that you failed to sign off properly? That must be a real bad case of "Doe Fever" you have! If you need a grinder with the smaller plates I have a Lem 3/4 hp that came from your favorite sporting googs store in Auburn that I would be willing to let you borrow for a paultry charge of say a back strap or a couple of steaks! Let me know if your interested and I can leave it out around beer camp some wheres.

Thu Jul 20, 08:17:00 AM 2006  
Blogger Frank Zappai said...

hey, thanks for the offer, I may be taking you up on that. I'll see how it goes this time around with the old Oster. Are you moved in yet? and/or are you going to be around beer camp this weekend--Wendy's gone with the kids, I could drive up Saturday some time. And when my butchering skills get up to snuff, there will be some meat with your name on it.

Thu Jul 20, 12:07:00 PM 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ya were in town, we moved in last Wednesday during the torrential down pour so I know exactly where the grinder is. I'll check it out tonight and let you know for sure tomorrow here but I think it has 4 different grinding plates with it.

Thu Jul 20, 12:37:00 PM 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home